Creating the digital representations of the physical and functional characteristics of facilities is critical to starting the manufacturing process of any industrial or commercial project. Marx Sheet Metal & Mechanical, Inc. utilizes building information modeling software such as Revit, Autodesk Fabrication, and Navisworks for clash detection and coordination. BIM 360 is utilized to bring BIM to the field using iPads and BIM Boxes for the field personnel.
Marx Sheet Metal & Mechanical Inc. VDC / BIM Capabilities
Marx utilizes the latest in computer-aided design (CAD) and drafting technologies to produce an accurate construction layout and virtual design on every project. Our in-house drafting and engineering department employs the highest skilled designers in the region. We invest in the most sophisticated computer hardware available and our BIM and coordination room in our main headquarters allows us to maximize coordination and collaboration efforts on every project.
Our detailers are trained in the latest versions of AutoCAD, Autodesk Fabrication CAD MEP, Navisworks, and Revit.
The services we provide include but are not limited to:
- Modeling Directly in Revit
- BIM360 Design (Collaborate, Model in the Cloud)
- Realtime Model Updates
- Navisworks Clash Detection
- 3D Laser Scanning of Existing Conditions
- Total Station Point Layout (Hangers, Underground Piping, Existing Conditions)
- Multi-Trade Racking
- Asset Tracking in Model (Facilities Maintenance, Scheduling)
- Native Revit Model As-Builts
- Computerized Estimating
- Customized Critical Path Scheduling
- Construction Management
Understanding the Difference Between CAD, BIM, and VDC
Technology utilized in the construction and manufacturing industry is evolving rapidly. But keeping up on the terminology that the group you employ uses can be challenging. Understanding the benefits of working with an organization that utilizes CAD, BIM, and VDC will help you know just the caliber of expertise you should expect.
- CAD: CAD, or Computer Assisted Design, utilizes both 2D and 3D models on a technical front.
- BIM: BIM, or Building Information Modeling, is a technologically enabled process of collaborative design and production that allows all team members including architects, engineers, clients, and contractors to collaboratively work together in a single model. It also creates more detailed files for 3D modeling.
- VDC: VDC or Virtual Design and Construction, is not a digital tool like CAD, but rather involves the management of integrated performance models.
How We Use CAD, BIM, VDC
Our team will work with you to complete the following:
- Prefabrication: We provide complete prefabrication and spool drawings to make prefabrication as efficient as possible.
- Nested Cut Lists: We produce nested cut lists that reduce waste by maximizing every inch of a length of pipe.
- 3D Scanning: We provide complete 3D Scanning of existing structures using a Trimble TX6. The TX6 shoots 500,000 laser measurements per second to create a 3D model of an existing structure.
- Point Clouds: We were able to model boilers around the existing structures and piping in boiler rooms.
- Hanger Point Layout: Using Trimble Total stations, we are able to layout hanger points for pipe, duct, and equipment.
- Multi-Trade Racks: We can design fabricate and install multi-trade racking systems ranging from ductwork, mechanical pipe, med gas, and electrical wiring.
BIM by Marx Sheet Metal & Mechanical, Inc.
For three generations, Marx Sheet Metal & Mechanical, Inc. has been a family-owned and operated business built on the principles of creating commercial and industrial-grade systems for clients that will grow and work for them for years to come.
If you are in need of building information modeling services in Pennsylvania or New Jersey, contact the professionals of Marx Sheet Metal & Mechanical, Inc.–(570) 824-4737.